Thursday, January 31, 2008

What I've been doing lately

I forgot to mention what my starting weight was on Monday morning, the day that I restarted the program, yet again. I got on the scale and my weight was 184.4. So, we'll see what it is this coming Monday.

I have weighed myself a couple of times this week, but you know how weight fluctuates, so I don't want to tell everyone how much I've lost, in case it goes up by Monday despite sticking to the program (which I full intend on doing!).

I've been meaning to have one of my kids take a picture of my face, so that I can compare what it looks like now to when I lose weight. I love seeing changes in photos! I can't wait to feel the change in my clothing!

I've been reading Dr. F's books again, Eat to Live as well as Disease-Proof Your Child and I'm very inspired! My kids aren't as thrilled with me getting back on track because it means no more organic cookies or chips in the house. I just can't have them here or I'll cave!

I read a blog, recently, about a woman who lived on green smoothies for 6 mos. Her caloric intake was horrifically low for a 500 lb. woman, at 600-800 calories per day, but I was inspired and have used some of her ideas to get me back on track.

I have decided to eat only green smoothies (big, huge ones!) for breakfast and lunch. Since my smoothies usually have about 400-500 calories in them, I'm sure I'm getting plenty of calories. I am breastfeeding, so am shooting for about 1500 per day.

For dinner, I am trying to eat some kind of bean-vegetable dish. So far, so good.

In the past, I have had a problem with consuming too many nuts. Once I take a handful of cashews and bite into the crunchy, creamy goodness, I just can't control myself. So, I'm only eating my nuts in my smoothies and since I'm eating 2 smoothies per day, I'm having 2 ounces of nuts per day.

Dr. Fuhrman told me that I should have 2 ounces of nuts per day and 1/2 an avocado per day (because I'm breastfeeding), but he did say that it would be OK to have either the 2 oz. of nuts or 1/2 the avocado and 1 ounce of nuts. He didn't sound too thrilled about it, though! So, I am going to try and get at least a 1/4 avocado in most days.

The key to my success is being prepared ahead of time. I've been making menus (I used to do dinner menus, but never breakfast and lunch.) and have been sticking to them. The kids like being able to get up in the morning and see what they're eating for the day. (Mom, guess which one likes that the most?)

Part of being prepared is having yummy, healthy foods prepared for the kids. They frequently make themselves green smoothies and OH! my 15 yr. old has actually started to add spinach to his!! This is HUGE! He has been balking at that for the longest time! Today, he took a small handful and put it into his smoothie. The 12 and 10 yr. olds put 2 handfuls in theirs and I'm hoping my 15 yr. old will add more gradually. He said that as long as it's not green, he thinks he can handle it.

My 3 yr. old seems to be on a banana kick. I'm waiting for the day that the cashier at the grocery store asks me if I have monkeys. LOL. Actually, I have 5 of them! Anyways, Jack, my 3 yr. old loves bananas with almond butter on them and "sprinkles," which is shredded coconut sprinkled on top. He eats 3 or 4 of these per day.

He also likes to take spoonfuls of almond butter and just eat that. I used to love to do that until they stopped making raw almond butter. :( Now, the jarred almond butter tastes stale to me and the almond butter I make just isn't the same. I'm glad Jack likes it, though!

It's getting late, so I'll post another time about feeding the kids. I have more to say regarding what I read in Dr. F's book, so will try and get that written up tomorrow. You know how that goes, though......

No comments: