Saturday, February 02, 2008

Goodwiches

Last night, we had what Marilyn Diamond calls a "Goodwich." Basically, they are a tortilla wrap, filled with whatever your heart desires (healthy, of course!).

I made up a week's worth of menus and it completely disappeared! I searched the whole house and car and could not find it anywhere. I even dug through the garbage bags out in the garage! Blech....lots of fruit and vegetable peelings to dig through. I really need to find a good indoor container to put compost in.

Anyways, because I couldn't find my menu, I had no idea what was supposed to be for dinner. The bummer part is that I just went grocery shopping based on my menus! I do remember a few of the meals, but not everything. Sigh...

So, I dug out my trusty old cookbook (The American Vegetarian Cookbook.) and searched for something that would be fairly quick and easy.


The Goodwiches popped out in front of me. Basically, you take a whole wheat tortilla (if I had Ezekiel, I would have used those instead) or whatever kind of tortilla you like, and stuff it with lots of fresh or steamed vegetables or your favorite salad, beans and whatever else you want.


We used:

Shredded organic carrots
Shredded organic purple cabbage
Steamed broccoli, chopped
Shredded Romaine lettuce
Organic Pinto beans
Julienned organic pickles (yes, I know there's lots of salt in them, but I just love pickles!)
Broccoli sprouts
Sauteed green peppers
Spicy Szechuan sauce
Mustard
BBQ sauce


I think that's all we used. Other options could be:


Chopped cauliflower
Shredded zucchini
Shredded yellow squash
Steamed squash
Rice
Snow peas
Sugar snap peas
Shredded beets
Shredded apples
Shredded green cabbage
Shredded chinese cabbage
Chopped onions
Sauteed onions in BBQ sauce
Sauteed or fresh peppers
Your favorite salad
Your favorite stir-fry


Condiments:


Spicy mustard
BBQ sauce
Squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice
Your favorite salad dressing
Nuts


They sky is the limit! You could have a different Goodwich each day of the week and not grow tired of them!


I personally had mine stuffed with everything except for the pinto beans. I ate those on the side and the condiment I used for my wrap was spicy Szechuan sauce (by San J). It was stuffed full and delicious!







No comments: